Friday 28 March 2008

Those spectacular eyes..

I asked my assistant to let in the next patient, as I had my back to the door, and was wearing my surgical gloves. I said : Good Morning, how are you today." But got no answer.. As I turned my back I saw something that took me by surprise... I saw a young woman, with a magical smile, and a tender face. She has a small nose, and freckles were scattered all over her ivory skin. I looked into her eyes and once again, I was stunned. She has the most amazing pair of eyes I have ever seen,, one was brown, and the other was the sweetest blue I have ever seen,, You wouldn't believe that such a thing would be natural.
I smiled back at her, and ushered her into the dental chair, and asked again: "what is it, what is hurting you." She looked at the other young woman who came inside, and moved her hands,, and at that moment I realized why she just smiled when she came in, she was talking in sign language, and explained what was wrong with her, and the other girl told me. I corrected what was wrong with her teeth, tried my best to be as gentle as a dentist can be, and when I finished, and signed for her that we are done, and she can leave, she thanked me with a look from her eyes, that made me so speechless,, and unable to reply back.
As she left the clinic, I sat wondering at the magic of the human body,, how by losing hearing and speech from birth, this lovely girl developed a magical way of communication with her eyes and her body.. It is true what they say, that when you lose one sense the other senses get stonger.
I sat and thought how speechless I was and felt inept with this lovely girl as I tried to reply back when she thanked me for what I did to her on that day...

Those spectacular eyes will always be the eyes that taught me to be grateful for what I have.. The miracles around us are many, but we need just to appreciate them.
Love and Peace my friends.. Always

2 comments:

Hareega said...

good read, thanks!

jyotsana said...

hullo friend
this is..........the art of right listening. we hear, we never listen. we may listen but we never rightly listen. the art of right listening is listening to somebodys words without your own words in mind, listening beyond words, listening to the silence each person has that often says more than his words, listening with your eyes, ears, nose, skin and tongue....and thats just what may have happened.......